Find a Feeder

Friday, October 26, 2012

Appetizer To Die For

If you're like me you are always on the lookout for a new appetizer recipe. While this one is a couple years old, it still is one of my family's favorites.


 
To make this appetizer really easy you need some mini phyllo(fillo) shells. Athens Foods make them or if you really have a lot of time you can make your own. My suggestion, splurge on the shells. Check the freezer aisles in your favorite market.
 
The next ingredient is some fig jam... yum! OK, I know there are some of you who are thinking Fig Newton filling and going 'yuck!'  Trust me on this one, you do want to try this appetizer even if you HATE Fig Newtons. You can buy fig jam at Whole Foods, but I like hitting my closest Home Goods store or Marshall's and picking it up there (bargain is my middle name!)
 
 
 
Next you need some Gorgonzola cheese. The crumbles that Treasure Cave sells are perfect for this recipe. Again, not my favorite in large quantities but mix it with the fig jam -- You will feel like you've gone to heaven! Actually you aren't going to mix them together, but put some jam in the phyllo cups, top with some Gorgonzola, and heat until cheese melts somewhat and the jam is warmed up. Remove from your oven (if you have a small toaster oven it's perfect for making these!)
 
 
 
Serve and listen as your guests rave! I love this recipe for Thanksgiving because it's fast, easy and you don't have to use your big oven for it, the tiny toaster oven does the job. This means you turkey and other dishes can cook while you make your appetizers. Enjoy! (Oh and be careful, that jam gets HOT!)

For links to other ideas for appetizers for Thanksgiving visit Confessions of a Stay-At-Home Mom, Redefining the Modern Day Donna Reed.
 

1 comment: