This week our family had the opportunity to see the 2012 Atlantic City Air Show, Thunder Over The Boardwalk. For those of you who have never been to see it, it's a great free show that anyone can watch from the boardwalk or the beaches in Atlantic City.
Thunder Over The Boardwalk is the largest beachfront airshow on the East Coast. You see the planes as low as 50 feet over the water and as high as 15,000 feet. The demonstrations wow the spectators, especially the headliners the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds and the U.S. Army Golden Knights.
All the armed services get together to show off the best of their best.
Caesar's Entertainment is the official host hotel sponsor this year and the Atlantic City Airport is the host airport.
How big is the airshow? Estimates are just below 900,000 people scattered from along the boardwalk, on the beaches, and even people out in their boats all watching this spectacular show.
Channel Six was just one of the local channels who were there covering the airshow. Their on air talent graciously taking photos and autographing them for fans.
Tips when you head to the airshow?
- Get there early and stake out your spot. Take plenty of water or Gatorade or juice. It is always hot and it is a long day.
- Lather on that sunscreen multiple times during the day. It's a long day and you'll be on the beach during prime burn hours.
- If you have sensitive ears grab some ear plugs.
- Pack some food that will stay fresh in the heat. No mayo on those sandwiches!
- The air show is a fun day but it is a long one and traffic after the show can be bumper to bumper. Try to use jitneys ($2.25 takes you from one end of the boardwalk to the other, beats taking you car out!) You might have to wait to board one after the show but it beats sitting in your car in bumper to bumper traffic.
- Make the most of the air show weekend. Book a hotel well in advance so you can relax and enjoy! No race to get back on the Expressway and head home afterwards.
So have fun! Plan your trip for next year early. This is one of those things that can easily become a family tradition. It's like nothing you've ever seen (or heard!) Atlantic City isn't just for grown ups any more!