Find a Feeder

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Your Spending Profile-Are You A Shopaholic?

Are you a shop-a-holic? Read through this article (then print the questions in it and stash them in your purse) and see how much money it saves you!

Do you spend more than you should with each trip to the mall, Target or Walmart? If this describes you as you are about to walk out the door, STOP! It's time to ask yourself these important questions:
  • Why am I going shopping?
  • Will I feel better emotionally after I go shopping?
  • How did I feel before I went shopping?
  • What would happen if I put off making the purchase until tomorrow or next week?
These questions will help you identify if you are shopping from an emotional need and if your shopping is driven by feelings of stress, loneliness, boredom or acquisitiveness.  Take the time to walk to the other end of the mall or strip center and then back again before making that purchase.  Will you still want it? Still need it? Or was it a spur of the moment impulse buy?

Then ask yourself WHY you want to make this particular purchase. If you aren't making this purchase to stave off a needy feeling of one kind or another then why are you making it?

Next ask yourself:
  • What will I use this item for? Do I REALLY need it?
  • Can I afford to pay for this item (without using my credit card or some other long term payment plan?)
  • What is there about this dress, pair of shoes, book, handbag or whatever the purchase is that makes me sure that this is THE item I need.
  • Does the item really fit? Will it mesh with the rest of my wardrobe or decor?
  • If I walk to the other end of the mall and back again how will I feel if the item is no longer available?
  • And if I take it home and it doesn't match the rest of my wardrobe will I return it or will it sit in my closet with the tags still on?
If after you have asked yourself all the questions and you still feel this is the item you want and it's the very best use you can put the amount of money you are spending to, then make that purchase. But if you get it home and find it doesn't match, take IT BACK! Or if you have 'buyer's remorse' don't just leave it in the bag or hanging in the closet complete with tags and never enjoy wearing it. And don't go back to the store and buy something to go with it.

I hope these tips help you curb your spending!

No comments:

Post a Comment